Here are the questions we were asked a lot... "Can we install Windows 7 from USB?", "How to upgrade and/or install Windows 7 on Netbook?", "How to install Windows 7 without DVD-ROM Drive?"... To answer these questions we've decided to write this step-by-step article.
If you want to install Windows 7 on a Computer or a Laptop without the CD/DVD-ROM drive or if you have a mini Netbook that comes without CD/DVD-drive and would like to upgrade it to Windows 7. Microsoft has provide a nice little tool called the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. What this little tool does is to take an ISO image of Windows 7 and easily extract Windows 7 files to a USB flash drive.
1) Click here to download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool installation file.
2) When it prompted to either save the file to disk or run it, I selected Run button.
Once you click on Run button, you might see the "Internet Explorer - Security Warning dialog box", click on Run button again.
3) Click on Next, click Install and then click on Finish in "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Setup" dialogs boxes, You'll have the option to specify where to install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool and whether to create shortcuts on your Start Menu or Windows Desktop.
1) Click the Start , and then click on Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool in the Start Menu list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.
2) In the Source File dialog box, click Browse button and select the Windows 7 ISO file in the Open dialog box, or type the name and path of your file.
3) Select USB to create a copy on a USB flash drive, then click Next button.
4) Select your USB device in the dropdown list and click Begin copying button.
When your Windows 7 ISO file is copied onto your USB flash drive, you can then boot from USB key and install or upgrade Windows 7 to your netbook. You can also use it to install Windows 7 on other computers with optical drives, as you can find that it speeds up the already fast process.
Also make sure the computer on which you want to install Windows 7 from USB key has the boot from USB device option selected in the BIOS, reboot and the Windows 7 installation process should begin.
You can also install Windows 7 by navigating to the root of your USB flash drive and double-clicking Setup.exe.
Do you have any install Windows 7 from USB flas drive experiences, ideas, article, story, opinions, errors, problems and tips which you would like to share? Why not take a few moments and Share it with everyone!